Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Old Poem Feels New Again

From a few years ago, here is a poem that has found new meaning in my life as I explore new horizons. It is about my relationship with Nature. Nature embodies a vulnerability that radiates a graceful and wise strength. This is precisely the strength I feel is appropriate and essential to draw upon at this point in my life.

She (10/7/97)
by Zeus Yiamouyiannis

From the shores
of a girl
leaps the life
of a woman

Like sunlight
Dancing within the waters
She feels
the deepest greens
and blackest black

She touches the
moss velvet
wet welcoming yet
ne'er a king's chair
will receive

It grows
only on stones
far older
more deserving
than thrones

The fallen
yellow-brown
willow leaf
moves in time
with the current
Just that much
different
to have its own life

It wefts in
and out
mottled blessed
by the concentrated rays
of a young
autumn's sun

The squawkward
love calls
of gulls
entune my ears

I feel her motion
in this body aqua
perched on an old
fallen tree

Semi-live
stretched into the lake
perpetually half-dived
It moves to the rhythms
of the lapping tide

Even as the thrumming
of earth
ascending through
its base
vibrates into view
the strong-gentle
sensual
outlines of her face

The bark falls away
and reveals this
cool, soft, and
slippery
as a kiss

I dig my toes in deep
and close my eyes
holding breath
to hear the skies

Her touch comes
probing and vivid
awakening
a sense long
forgot
of fusion sought
and life lived

Wisdom whispers
from the tresses
of her hair
as brilliant leaves
borne upon air

My soul listens
this riplet
glistens

An eternal pause
suspends
all
for a moment
grace descends

I am christened

No comments:

Post a Comment